Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Week of 9/25: Modern Love and Meet Market Roundups

Busy week, so we'll avoid detail just to quickly go over the basics.

Modern Love was fairly depressing this week, although not nearly as depressing as the piece that Sunday Styles did on the Spin Doctors... anyway, Carolyn Megan becomes a reluctant motherly figure and shares some thoughts on it. It's funny how her sister's impending death from cancer gets pushed aside, because that's not nearly modern enough for this column. It's perhaps more trendy to not want kids. Anyway, I refuse to rip into this piece, because it was rather touching, contemplative, and well-written. It reminds us why people respect this newspaper.

Meet Market was also gold this week, but in this case for comic reasons. Last week's date was an absurd success, while this week's picks are good for a chuckle.

Jake chose Michelle and found success, so we give Tom and Laura credit for yet another victory. I'd say I was wrong in my predictions last week, but it does seem that Michelle swings enthusiastically from Jake's comedy-filled nuts and I mentioned that possiblity as a potential path to hookup success. Also, I'm almost never wrong.

Next week's date match is between Erin, a nice-n'-pretty girl wearing a pearl necklace (obvious "very hot-date" joke skipped for brevity's sake), and three guys who are really testing my self-imposed ban on commenting about people's appearances. Kevin says, "Physically, you could say I'm the average Joe." I'd agree that, picture + profile + job title, he'd be perfect as a contestant on Average Joe. Logan, meanwhile, cannot live without "Rooftops, walk-in kaleidoscopes and fog." If I were a girl, I'd have read that and thought, "I'm going to get raped on someone's creepy rooftop." Kalik's profile is much better than the others' (although it's so good that it seems to have been copied out of a book). My favorite line:
What do you like doing when you're not working? Sometimes relaxing with the quality people in my life, and other times just enjoying some much-needed solitude. I do enjoy going to church, the gym and dancing.

That was absolutely fantastic until the end. Gym and dancing, the Mary-Kate and Ashley of dating profile cliches. And it's my favorite line because I love to see the two juxtaposed as an unholy duo of contrived personal activities. We've been down this road before, I'm sure it needs no repeat explanation.

Kalik gets my pick, the voters agree, and we're done. Wasn't that easy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home