Tuesday, August 16, 2005

New York Post Meet Market: Would It Kill You To Smile?

We're back to the normal routine with Meet Market this week: I'm not in the column anymore, there are no guest bloggers, the date setup was unsucessful, and next week's doesn't look so good either. Ahhh, this state of affairs is like an old pair of slippers... so familiar, so comfortable...

Jannie wisely chose Igwe for her date, as he was pretty much the best of the bunch in terms of romantic potential. The crowd didn't see it that way (70% for Tyrone), but if anyone knew anything at all about dating, we'd all be married already.

Unwisely, Jannie wasn't so enthusiastic about Igwe:
I have to say that I don't think there was really any major spark between us - just good conversation. Also, I don't know if I am ready to take the plunge into a new relationship, as I am starting school in September.


Arrgh! And to make things worse, Igwe was mostly enthusiastic:
She is pretty close to the total package.


In the end, though, I think this is for the best. Igwe himself really isn't the total package, and neither is Jannie. Our unintentionally hilarious quote of the week shows why:
One issue I had with Jannie was that she didn't seem very politically aware, which is a sticking point with me. I told her that I was a communist and she didn't really know what that was.

Communist! You red-faced no-good Yakov-Smirnoff-loving traitor! I thought Rocky Balboa got rid of you guys in the 80's! Is it not enough to be a Democrat liberal anymore? Even funnier, she had no idea what he's talking about. I mean, she's only 22, but how does she not know? They were pointing nukes at us for only about... um, 40 years! Back to grade-school history class for you, young Jannie!

Our picker for next week is Steve, who's been seen around these parts before, and has even been recommended (to date Queen Worst Liberal Leslie - I guess it's good he got passed over for that one). Even though I've recommended him in the past, I've changed my mind. Here's the reason: see that picture in his profile? He's not smiling. I can tell you firsthand, they ask you to smile when they take those pictures. The fact that he's wearing a bored look on his face - combined with a couple of his profile answers that reveal his hipster entertainment tastes - makes me think that he's not a warm, down-to-earth person. He's matchable, certainly, but I wouldn't set up any of my female friends with Mr. Pouty Face.

Of our potential daters, here's the breakdown:
* Samantha is a very emotional and down-to-earth person. Magic 8 Ball: Outlook not so good.
* Eve is a Red Sox fan. Forget it! They're even worse than Communists!
* Becky has hipster-ish tastes. And she's the last one in the room. (For guys, that's a perfect reason to get romantic with someone)

So, Becky it is! And the polls agree, she's winning with a nearly 47% plurality victory as of Tuesday. And I sincerely hope that Mr. Pouty Face agrees.

Signing out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home